Thursday, August 27, 2009

All I have to do is dream...

Dreaming. Recurring dreams. Do you have them? Do you remember them?

When you dream,
what do you dream about?
When you dream,
what do you dream about?
Are they colour or black and white,
Yiddish or English
or languages not yet conceived?
Are they silent or boisterous?
Do you hear noises just
loud enough to be perceived?
Do you hear Del Shannon's "Runaway" playing
on transistor radio waves?
With so little experience,
your mind not yet cognizant
Are you wise beyond your few days?
When you dream,
what do you dream about?
When you dream,
what do you dream about?

When You Dream, Bare Naked Ladies

I mentioned that song a few weeks ago for the Fav Songs Girl Talk Thursday entry.

I do have some pretty vivid dreams... ones that have gotten brighter and far more horrifying since I became a mother. I dream about bad things happening to my family, my children and usually the dreams are worse after watching a scary movie or a freaky scene in my hubs "Left for Dead" zombie game (dude, that game makes me jumpy). Most of the bad dreams involve car accidents or building collapses (I think as a result of watching the towers fall on TV on 9/11).

The two recurring crazy dreams I have about myself involve all my teeth falling out (WTH?) and of me falling, falling, falling, floating and falling in the air and the ground rapidly coming in to focus, getting bigger and bigger and bigger. That one usually makes me wake up in panic and usually when hubs says I've been jerking/twitching around in my sleep. (SORRY!)

I also love the montage dreams when people I know who don't know eachother are all jumbled up in the same place talking to me. Like when old, old friends from the high school I went to in New York before moving to Florida my sophomore year found me on Facebook and we started reconnecting. Suddenly I dreamed my NY friends were hanging with my FL friends and we were all having a blast. I usually dream something like this whenever I make a new social media connection and I think that person would like someone else I know.

Sometimes I dream about people who have died. I see my grandparents, and they are doing well. And I see my friend Noel a lot, usually he's laughing, which I like, but I end up waking up and saying out loud that he didn't get his way, that we all didn't forget him like he thought we would. He killed himself almost seven years ago.

I hate when I don't remember my dreams but I know I had one that was bizarre. I love bizarre dreams, ones that go something like "well first I was here eating lunch and suddenly I was jumping rope and my mom was sitting on a farm talking to flowers while my nephew recites multiplication tables" or something like that. Seriously what is your mind doing?! (no that was not an actual dream)

When you dream, what do you dream about?

7 comments:

Diane August 27, 2009 at 10:33 AM

That song was in my head this morning the whole time I was writing my post! Ditto on the teeth falling out. GROSS.

verygoodyear August 27, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Teeth falling out is totally freaky.

You reminded me that I have been dreaming about being in elementary school A LOT lately. Like as an adult, wandering the halls. I wonder what it'd look like to see it through adult eyes :)

Stacie's Madness August 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

see I think teeth falling out isn't a scary dream at all...

I'm weird. ;)

Angie and Michael August 28, 2009 at 2:03 AM

LOVE that song! M & I listened to it one unforgettable night on a drive back to the NICU after spending the day picking up stuff at home for our stay at the Ronald McDonald House. We wept in both sadness at our Boy's condition, as well as happiness that *we had a Boy!*. The song means a lot to us to this day and I just added it to his 'bedtime mix' CD. :)

P.S. Freaky teeth!

Jackie Blum August 29, 2009 at 10:37 PM

One night not too long ago I dreamt I was being sought for the murder of Joe Pesci. I was the only suspect. I have no idea why.

A few nights ago - actually, it was that short snooze between 5 and 6 a.m., after I have to give Ian his pacifier but before I get up for the day - I had a dream that Ian and I were on a flight from Brazil and we were crashing. Then, the plane was dodging traffic on the interstate that runs through Phoenix. Seriously. You can't make this stuff up.

I have the WEIRDEST and SCARIEST dreams in the morning hours, after I wake up for a brief moment and then head back to sleep for 30 minutes or so. It's then that I produce some of the absolute craziest dreams ever.

~Jennifer~ September 1, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I have the tooth falling out dream a couple times a year. I've heard it has something to do with fear of losing something or someone. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm slightly vain and fear losing my teeth.

Amber, The Unlikely Mama September 20, 2009 at 10:39 PM

God, I have horribly realistic dreams. Most of the time they're bad ones, but so vivid I often wake up crying or pissed off at whoever wronged me in the dream. Too often it's Peter, and he's gone off and "dream cheated" on me again, ha. Poor guy :-)